Author's note: Many of the posts contained within this blog are personal memoirs. They are mine. They are real. I wrote them as I experienced them. If any story is at all fictional or needs to be attributed to someone else, I will state that firmly in the first paragraph.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unbottle Your Feelings and Dump Them on Paper

I am no William Shakespeare, or even Michael Crichton, for that matter. But still, I'm usually able to express myself in a fairly competent manner. Lately I've had to write a few papers on my "feelings" about certain performances. I enjoy the arts. Thoroughly. I wrote the first paper and received a response from my grader that complimented my writing style and word usage, but docked me nonetheless for not explaining my thoughts and feelings well enough. This didn't bother me; criticism is something that I can handle. I did all that I possibly could on my second paper to pack it profusely with "I felt happy"s and "I found this remarkable"s. And still, I was docked for my "lack of feeling." Instead of kicking a dead horse, I'll simply say that despite my best efforts, I was faced with the same reason for a disappointing grade on my third paper. Am I explicating my feelings about this musical and that jazz concert? I thought so! Today I have learned my lesson. When writing a paper in which I must expand upon these "feelings" which I'm supposed to have, simply write an outline and then hand the paper over to a girl for her to fill it with how you should think and feel. That's right, paper grader, I have beaten you at last. You have read exactly what you wanted to hear and at last your thirst for my "feelings" has been slated.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That last word should be "sated".
The English Professor