Author's note: Many of the posts contained within this blog are personal memoirs. They are mine. They are real. I wrote them as I experienced them. If any story is at all fictional or needs to be attributed to someone else, I will state that firmly in the first paragraph.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Marinating in Misdirection

I'm seventeen again for a moment. Trudging along somewhere between 14 and 25. Glancing around at the happy couples, I feel grossly misplaced. Looking over toward the pool, at the grinding crowd of single students, I feel grossly misplaced. Limbo in a hot tub time machine remembering that this year I'll be 23 as I'm offered a bucket of beer for the twentieth time today.
Any drinks from the bar?
No, thank you.
You sure? Buy four beers and you get one free.
No.
The more you spend the more you save. I pray that no one for no one's sake would fall for such a transparent marketing gimmick. I'm strung and stretched between carefree and maturity. Having to angle the bar so that it will support the heavy shower curtain. Drenched and collapsing just when your mind wanders to other things.
The sun beats down on us as I apply more sunscreen to my bald head. Maybe I'll be 30 this year. I don't want the peeling to be too severe. The same waiter walks by without so much as a glance in our direction. I see on his user-friendly name tag that he's from Zimbabwe. Hello, Mickel, how may you serve me today? As Mickel tears the name tag away from my groping eyes and throws it overboard. And so the revolution begins. I can only imagine what he's thinking while he traverses the deck. Does he think that this is a good job? Does he prefer Bud Light over Corona Light? Is he laughing secretly at them? At us? At me?
How much disdain can a Zimbabwean mask behind a grin?
My two twitterpated friends are getting into a tickle war. I laugh and watch as they embrace happiness. No longer seventeen and gagging again. Instead I am proud to have such happy friends. Moving away to the opposite side, I distract myself with the hair on my forearm. As the suds dry, the hair remains slicked down as if I used gel. If my arm hair were long enough, would I spike it or trim it? Or alternate the two?
The Zimbabwean waiter is watching us. Upon eye contact he turns away, back to his shadow.

1 comment:

Kelsey Keller Weller said...

I don't know if it was me and Bri in the tickling war, but since we are usually the two being obnoxious like that, I'm going to guess that it was. Thanks for not gagging too often about us. You are the best. Let's go back to Mexico. I hate school.