Author's note: Many of the posts contained within this blog are personal memoirs. They are mine. They are real. I wrote them as I experienced them. If any story is at all fictional or needs to be attributed to someone else, I will state that firmly in the first paragraph.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sailing away with STDs

You missed it. You got there, but too late. Everyone is talking about it. You're picking up bits, pieces, yet nothing. You just had to be there, they tell you. You should have been there, sure, but you weren't. Finally, when no one cares, you're told a dispassionate version. I slipped on the ice yesterday, flipped backward, did a full backflip, and then landed on my feet. Disprove it.
Perspective. Point of view. Opinion. Blinking. Bias. Beliefs. All affect. Experiences experienced, but none completely by any one. You will never be younger than you are now, and the story too.
Stories are told and then forgotten. Others are remembered. Recorded. Repeated. Recited. Some become a part of history. Some more mainstream than others. Passing into legend, taken as fact. Reborn in novels, fewer still in the cinema.
Stories are dynamic, changing, and often fictional. You wish you were there, but you missed it. We've read our history. Reading it in a history book we likely missed out. Maybe we should have been there...
What's the point of this, you may be wondering? Fragmented sentences and improper grammar? That, yes, and time travel. That's right, bad grammar and time travel. I want to travel through time. I don't care so much about my friends' great stories as I do about legendary events. You know what I'm talking about. What guy wouldn't want to travel back to ancient Greece to see whether or not Helen of Troy was really all that hot? What's the deal with Stonehenge anyway? Was Napoleon really that short? Did Cleopatra really commit suicide with a boob snake bite? Was Leonardo da Vinci really gay? Also, can we tell Christopher Columbus that he's going to pick up syphilis in the Caribbean? Bad idea, Chris. Just sayin'. Again, keeping it in the pants would have saved Europe some grief.
The implications are as profound as they are hopelessly unlikely. If we ever work anything out in the time travel branch of science, I nominate myself as the man who should go first.

No comments: